Skip to content

Changing your advisor and/or committee member

Common reasons you may need to change your faculty advisor and/or a member of your committee:

  • The faculty member leaves the university
  • Your research interests or your thesis/dissertation topic changes substantially
  • Your relationship with the faculty member becomes strained
  • A committee member’s extended absence from campus makes scheduling meetings and/or exams unreasonably difficult

Once a graduate student has advanced to candidacy, the Request for Reconstitution of Committee Form needs to be submitted to Graduate Division to make a change.

For more information about changing your faculty advisor and/or committee membership, please contact your SSHA Graduate Coordinator.